Remote · Full-time or Part-time
We are seeking a self-directed software engineer to help build the future of user interfaces, and to develop tooling around them. Our work is asynchronous, with only ad-hoc meetings and a single daily check-in. We are still building our long-term infrastructure, so you will need to either troubleshoot what isn’t working or build what we don’t have.
- You will be one of the primary developers for feather’s core library and language specific glue code.
- You will build out the standard control library and shape the core template API
- You will help develop the built-in feather debugger and associated tooling.
- You will help build the feather layout editor and bootstrap its ability to edit it’s own layout.
- You must be capable of self-directed work with minimal supervision - you’ll have to break down your project assignment into steps yourself.
- You must demonstrate proactive communication skills, so everyone can be on the same page.
- You must be capable of self-directed learning, as we work with cutting-edge technologies with limited documentation that are sometimes unstable.
- Strong knowledge of Lua and how Lua metatables work.
- Experience with C, C++, Zig, Rust, or any other C-like language.
- Know or are willing to learn Terra
- Know or are willing to learn Rust
- Some kind of user interface experience (Qt, React, imgui, your own project, etc.)
- Know or are willing to learn Nix
Because these qualifications involve many niche languages and tools, they are only guidelines. If you only meet some of them, please apply anyway!
- Experience developing GUI applications in Rust
- DirectX/OpenGL/WebGL experience
- Any kind of graphics programming experience (Unity, Unreal, Godot, etc.)
- Familiarity with ML, Haskell, or similar functional programming languages
- Webassembly experience
- Embedded development
- Android/iOS app development experience
Our culture is that of neurodiversity. We are a collection of sometimes autistic, sometimes ADHD programming nerds who just want computers to work. Traditional work environments don’t work for us, so we are exploring alternatives, especially in VR. This will not be a normal workplace, and you will be a guinea pig, just like the rest of us, as we try to explore ways to be productive despite our quirks. Expect LGTBQ, plurality, autism, and other neurodiverse pride at work.
This is a full-time position at a small start-up working on cutting-edge technology, so we expect to pay an initial salary of about $30,000 - $40,000 per year (which will grow with the company). We offer standard Gold-level health insurance for all employees living in the United States. To supplement the salary, we include a profit-sharing plan for you instead of offering equity - the more money the company makes, the more money you make, without having to wait for an IPO. The company is at an extremely early stage, so you will help shape our future prospects and our culture going forward.
Fundament Software is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ancestry, creed, color, disability, ethnicity, family or medical care leave, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process.
Please submit your resume and link to any appropriate project examples (github profile, website, etc.) in the comment section below.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.