Remote · Full-time or Part-time
We are seeking a motivated, team-oriented compiler engineer with a strong mathematical background. You will help build the theoretical foundation for our initial Alicorn prototype, and help design subsequent self-hosting stages of the compiler chain. Our toolchain will be limited until you help expand it. Our work is asynchronous, with only ad-hoc meetings and a single daily check-in.
- You will implement advanced type inference algorithms in a prototype Alicorn compiler.
- You will help build the lexer, AST, and hook up code generation to Terra (or directly to LLVM).
- You will contribute to the core library type definitions and the standard library utility functions.
- You will help design the build system and compiler toolchain that supports the language.
- You must be capable of self-directed work with minimal supervision - you’ll have to break down your project assignment into steps yourself.
- Experience in OCaml, or Haskell
- Mathematics background including category theory, abstract algebra, and type theory.
- Experience with either Terra, or C++ and LLVM
- Experience with Lua
- Experience with LPEG or parser combinators
Because these qualifications involve many niche languages and tools, they are only guidelines. If you only meet some of them, please apply anyway!
- Familiar with Order Theory
- Familiar with Homotopy Type Theory
- Practical experience in another domain, such as HPC, webapps, embedded/kernel, etc.
- Experience with Rust
- Experience with a wide variety of languages and programming paradigms.
Our culture is that of neurodiversity. We are a collection of sometimes autistic, sometimes ADHD programming nerds who just want computers to work. Traditional work environments don’t work for us, so we are exploring alternatives, especially in VR. This will not be a normal workplace, and you will be a guinea pig, just like the rest of us, as we try to explore ways to be productive despite our quirks. Expect LGTBQ, plurality, autism, and other neurodiverse pride at work.
This is a full-time position at a small start-up working on cutting-edge technology, so we expect to pay an initial salary of about $30,000 - $40,000 per year (which will grow with the company). We offer standard Gold-level health insurance for all employees living in the United States. To supplement the salary, we include a profit-sharing plan for you instead of offering equity - the more money the company makes, the more money you make, without having to wait for an IPO. The company is at an extremely early stage, so you will help shape our future prospects and our culture going forward.
Fundament Software is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ancestry, creed, color, disability, ethnicity, family or medical care leave, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process.
Please submit your resume and link to any appropriate project examples (github profile, website, etc.) in the comment section below.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.